Zimambwe Assosciation of Doctors for Human Rights (ZADHR)
ZADHR is a membership based, independent, voluntary, non-profit making organization that was founded in November 2002. Our vision is the enjoyment of the right to highest attainable standard of health by all Zimbabweans.
ZADHR exists recognising the position of doctors and other health professionals as frontline witnesses in achievement of the right to health and also recognising the potential power of the voices of health care workers to influence policy and its implementation.
ZADHR's mission is to educate, empower and encourage health professionals to be knowledgeable about, curious to investigate, able to document and competent to analyse human rights and violations thereof in Zimbabwe and the region; to lobby governments to respect, protect and fulfil the right to health and to investigate and document violations of the right to health.
- Health policy and health systems
- Health and human rights education
- Campaign against torture
- Health and human rights of vulnerable groups (women, prisoners, people living with HIV and AIDS, mental health)
- Accountability and the right to health
- Initiating, supporting and encouraging members and medical practitioners to offer their professional services towards the promotion and protection of human rights, especially the right to health;
- Monitoring government policies and legislation which may affect the right to health;
- Lobbying on issues of health rights with the relevant authorities, including the Ministry of Health and Child Welfare and the Parliament of Zimbabwe.
- Publishing and circulating regular publications on health rights in Zimbabwe, and important developments on the right to health locally and abroad.
- Issuing periodic public statement on important health rights issues;
- Arranging meetings, seminars and discussion groups involving members of the medical profession and health workers focusing on human rights issues;
- Engaging in strategic regional and international networking for effective lobby and advocacy on the medical profession and its role in promoting and protecting human rights;
- Providing a safety net for members, medical practitioners and health care givers working on health rights issues through legal and other relevant assistance; and
- Maintaining a database on right to health issues
Adress: 6th Floor, Beverly Court, 100 Nelson Mandela Ave, Harare, Zimbabwe
Telephone: +263 (0)4 708 118 / 703430