South African Medical Association (SAMA)
The South African Medical Association (SAMA) is a non-statutory, professional association for public and private sector medical practitioners. Registered as an independent, non-profit Section 21 company SAMA acts as a trade union for its public sector members and as a champion for doctors and patients. On behalf of its members, the Association strives for a health care dispensation that will best serve their needs.
SAMA membership is voluntary, with some 70% of public and private sector doctors in South Africa currently registered as members of SAMA.The SAMA head office is situated in Pretoria, South Africa.
- 21 May 1998 – SAMA established from a merger between the Medical Association of South Africa (MASA) founded in 1927, and the Progressive Doctors Group.
- 30 April 1999 - Affiliation of the National Medical Alliance to SAMA, unifying organised medicine in South Africa through the SA Medical and Dental Practitioners, Society of Dispensing Family Practitioners, Family Practitioners Association, Dispensing Family Practitioners Association and the Eastern Cape Medical Guild.
SAMA’s activities focus on the professional and business aspects of medical practice. We believe that doctors can positively influence medical practice by:
- anticipating and influencing health policy changes
- promoting cost containment
- maintaining lifelong commitment to continuing professional development.
Empowering doctors to bring health to the nation.
- Learning and adapting.
- Building trust relationships.
- Valuing diversity.
Address: Block F Castle Walk Corporate Park, Nossob Street, Erasmuskloof Ext3, Pretoria 0181, South Africa
Telephone: +27 (0)12 481 2000